Breaking OAuth Change: Scopes must be set on post auth

My users are currently getting an error when trying to login through Patreon OAuth:

{“error”:“Scopes must be set on post auth.”}

I haven’t made any changes to my app; this started happening a few minutes ago. The API documentation has always listed scopes as optional:

https://docs.patreon.com/#step-2-making-the-log-in-button

Please fix this ASAP. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m deploying an emergency fix to apply scopes to the OAuth call.

This is the second time that a change on Patreon’s end has required me to deploy a fix to mitigate it. Earlier this year I lost the ability to look up my own Patreon posts from the API: API Returning Cloudflare Challenge

I am also receiving this error and it is causing issues with my users. Can someone please clarify why this breaking change was implemented and what I can do to fix the issue?

Are you people using API v1 or API v2?

I’m using API V1… When a user clicks Login With Patreon button on my site and is redirected back they get this:

{“error”:“Scopes must be set on post auth.”}

adding the scope parameter to the button fixed it for me
&scope=users%20pledges-to-me%20my-campaign

Hi folks, this was an unintentional change. A fix is in progress and will be released soon.

2 Likes

I am having issues with logins using API v2, too, is this a result of your intententional change, too? Please refer to this post: Patreon oauth2 resulting in 500 on patreon side.

My users cannot access my content until this is fixed and puts me into a shitty position.

1 Like

Hi folks, the fix has been released and you should no longer be seeing errors with authorize requests. Please reply here or contact Patreon support if you see any more errors.

1 Like