Documentation Feedback

How could our documentation be better? If you spot any inconsistencies or errors in our docs, please let us know!

This is an area we can always continue to improve on. We’re really looking forward to being called out and have our errors and unclear areas spotted as quickly as possible! Thank you all in advance for the feedback.

Heads up: there’s a “TODO” at https://www.patreon.com/portal/start/quick-start — “TODO: Actually make this a thing”. Looks slightly unprofessional. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yikes! Thank you!! Fixing now.

1 Like

In addition to showing how to do specific things, a reference of all the API endpoints would be extremely helpful, as well as more information on how to properly use the include and fields[] parameters, and a list of every attribute that comes with each resource (silly me, not double checking the documentation before I post).

I’ve got a handle on it now thanks to @LiraNuna’s help and delving through the libraries, but something like this would have been a very useful resource back when I was first diving into the API.

Also, in the example for pulling a list of pledges, the example data shows it returning 0 pledges… which really doesn’t give you a good idea of what data you are retrieving. ^^;

1 Like

@LordHarvie This is was really great feedback! I’ve added a section that has a brief example of using include and fields[] here, and fixed the example pledge endpoint response so that it has actual data.

1 Like

Some notes on what I’ve found so far, sorry if any of them are fixed already, I made this list a while I was working on my project last week.

Consistency of URLS:

Either api.patreon.com or patreon.com/api or www.patreon.com/api is used, which is a little confusing.

Also the fact you have www.patreon.com/oauth2/authorize and www.patreon.com/api/oauth2/token, which means you can’t just have a prefix of www.patreon.com/api somewhere and store all the endpoints.
I could see why this is the case for the authorize endpoint, since it’s a url the client is redirected to, but it does behave like an API endpoint if you don’t input the correct date (aka it returns a bunch of human-unfriendly json).

Some missing links:

On https://www.patreon.com/portal/help/candid-questions:

Is there an API terms of use?
Right now it’s covered under our standard Terms of Service [link]. …

On Platform | Start Here | Patreon

Implementing OAuth
Ok, now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s talk about implementation. Our docs provide a thorough walk through on implementing OAuth (oauth link).

2 Likes

Love that you were keeping a running list - thank you!!

I can take on fixing those docs links - yikes.

@LiraNuna can probably speak best to our URL structure.

Thank you @Dries007! And I owe you feedback on another thread too. Looking forward to trying that out.

Currently this is because of legacy reasons. We’re trying to migrate everything to www.patreon.com/api but for now api.patreon.com will work to keep old clients working.

Yeah, this is a known bug (“feature”?) and should be fixed by redirecting with an error code.

Alright, I’ll see if I can move to the python client (didn’t see you had one when I started working) or make sure all my urls are correct.