💡 Patreon WordPress locking options guide

That can be done through a premium addon, Patron Plugin Pro. You can lock posts or entire post types with ‘Show after X days’ method, or, ‘Lock last X posts’ method. Or ‘show after a certain date’.

The first 2 would apply to your case of course. Locking posts to show after 30 days would make every post public when it is older than 30 days. Lock last X posts would only lock your last, say, 10 posts. When you post one more, the oldest locked post goes public etc.

So I updated it but the tier thing is working for me, its just showing a loading sign.

You mean the tier select box in WP post editor stays in loading?

It means that the plugin is not able to pull your tiers from Patreon via ajax.

You can try a hard CTRL+F5 to force your browser to refresh the javascript and see if that works.

Thank you so much that did the trick.

1 Like

Ah, maybe I should have posted my question here:
How do I give multiple tiers access to a post? For example I have a world building course with three modules: basic, advanced, expert.
Patrons who choose a tier that gives them access to the advanced module, also gives them access to the basic module. On my patreon page I can easily do this.
However, in the plugin part of a post on my site I can only seem to be able to select one tier. That is not conform the default options on my partreon page.

I do not offer anything besides the tiers and if I understand it correctly, I should use the pledge amount option in that case.

Thanks for the help!

When you select a tier (or assign a $ level), that tier and all the tiers above that level will have access to that content.

Basically it will act same with your Patreon.

Assign the basic tier to a piece of content? Advanced tier and Basic tier users will be able to access and see that content…

Tier selection and $ amount act similarly.

Ah, in that case I misunderstood the tier selection! I thought it would be for that tier alone. Thanks so muchh for the fast response!

1 Like

I’ve been using the Patreon wordpress plugin for a while now, and I love it.

I just have two problems with the plugin, and it’s probably on my end, since I see no complaints about it.

When I update a post, the dollar amount resets, back to $0, and I have to change it back and update it to lock it again. Sometimes I have to do it twice.

Also, I have to use the dollar amount, simply because it doesn’t give me an option on tiers. It just shows an empty dropdown menu. Is anyone else having the same problem?

1 Like

This seems to be an issue affecting some sites and happening occasionally and irregularly. It is likely due to the process that asks the api for latest state of your tiers via the ajax request that triggers it failing at a certain point occasionally.

We will think about something for this for the next few releases. Likely we will prevent overwriting of your tiers in case a proper return from the api is not received.

For now, refreshing the page until you see your tiers are properly populated would work.

Also if this happens frequently, you can try opening your browser’s developer console (F12 on Chrome) and see if any Javascript errors are present in console tab.

hello, I have an attached file from a Gutenberg block, but I can’t select it to add the patreon level.

Excerpt gating is a Patron Pro feature. You can open a support ticket at Codebard.com to receive support for this issue.

The excerpt gating is not designed to gate blocks but text/content inside them. Can you try and see if you can select part of the content inside the block and then gate it via excerpt gating?

Hi just have the same issue as Rihaan had follow your advices refresh the page dozen of time but still get this issue.
Also using the dollar amount reset back to 0$ randomly and when it keep the correct amount it doesn’t lock the articles on the website.

Can you arrange a (new) admin account and mail its credentials to ozgur@c.patreon.com so i can see this on-site? That account should be deleted after the debugging is complete.

Hello! So, I have a question but I think I may know the answer, but just want to be sure.

On my site, I am posting books that will be for Patrons at a certain tier and above. I am using a plugin for this (BookPress Pro) and when I create a new book, it asks me on the side for the Patron level, which I choose.

Then, as I add each piece (cover, copyright, TOC, chapter, etc.) it also asks me to choose the Patron level.

Now, do I have to keep putting in the Patron level for each piece? Or since the main book setup has the level selected, should each piece then default to that level?

I guess if you can see this page and flip through the pages of the embedded book, that would answer my question! lol

Thanks so much!

I’ve had this same issue from the very beginning - and I’ve been using the plugin for about a year.

My tiers don’t show up at all - it says I don’t have tiers for this campaign, whatever that means.

Even if I set a precise amount and go back to double check, it will randomly reset back to zero and unlock my posts, without warning. I have to regularly go back and make sure to re-input the precise amount (since selecting tiers isn’t even an option) to keep non-patrons from viewing the content.

Then, as I add each piece (cover, copyright, TOC, chapter, etc.) it also asks me to choose the Patron level.

PW allows you to lock any post from post type.This means that if a plugin or a theme treats some attributes for something as post types, then those also will have the gating option added by PW.

Ie, apparently the plugin you use treats various properties of ‘book’ post type as different post types. Cover, copyright, TOC etc seem to be recorded as post types. This would end up all of them being offered the option to be locked.

You shouldnt need to lock all of those. Just locking the final ‘book’ posts may accomplish what you need. But if any particular element of that book also needs gating like ‘chapter’ etc, you may lock them separately as well.

The page you linked gives a 404 error. Additionally, it seems to be using non pretty permalinks.

Patreon WordPress requires pretty permalinks to be turned on.

This is a very odd situation you got there Raising.

Which version of the plugin are you using?

Can you try updating to the latest version, and then manually deleting the app created for it at apps page below:

And then you can delete the saved client details in Connections section in ‘Patreon Settings’.

This will allow you to reconnect your site to Patreon using ‘Connect’ button that will appear there.

Hi there,

I have a question about this locking function, actually. If I am understanding correctly, this seems to be aligned to the old tier function for Patreon - that members would automatically receive access to anything at that level and below in pledge. In that model, a $10 member would also be able to see the $5 member content and the $3 member content, just by default. Is that correct?

Because if so, it’s a bit of a problem. Patreon now allows content to be locked to a specific tier (as of Nov 2018). It no longer automatically rolls bottom up in that way. The $10 member only receives content assigned to their tier.

In my situation, the plugin feature (again, if I’m understanding correctly - please let me know if that is not so) presents an issue because I have some tiers that are grouped together to see similar content. So I really do need that assignment level on a WP page to be able to lock $5 and $8 members on this page, whereas this other WP page is for $10 and $15 members. (I have some retired levels, as well as private group tiers)

What would you suggest here for being able to still use the plugin for multiple (but specific) tiers? I just decided to try using it now and was really excited… this is a bit of a roadblock though. Thank you for reading!

In that model, a $10 member would also be able to see the $5 member content and the $3 member content, just by default. Is that correct?

Thats right.

What would you suggest here for being able to still use the plugin for multiple (but specific) tiers? I just decided to try using it now and was really excited… this is a bit of a roadblock though. Thank you for reading!

Different tiers from same $5 level is something that may be implemented in near future, its certainly in the list of things to check soon. However when and if are not certain yet. So for the time being using any kind of workaround which you can conceive to implement your format would be the way to go.

I have a message saying “You have no tiers in this campaign”. I have about 5 tiers, active for several years and refreshing with Ctrl + F5 doesn’t bring them in. I’m on chrome and I’ve tried an incognito window as well as the Opera browser.