API way to check number of months active?

Hey, is there a way with the API to get how many months somebody’s been a patron so far? I’m looking for a solution that would work for either “pays for a whole year at once” patrons or “has paid monthly for N months” patrons. They needn’t be contiguous either. I looked through the API docs and didn’t see a way to reliably tell. The reason would be as an extra gate against “Download the whole patron-only file archive and then ask for a refund” patrons, or to provide loyalty rewards.

Thanks,
Aaron

Memberships have an attribute called “pledge_relationship_start” which tells you when the current pledge window started. This resets every time there’s a break in patronage to whenever the new patronage starts.

This might be your best bet but it only works for continguous patrons. Tracking non-contiguous patron relationships would require something on your end to reach out to the API to grab memberships and evaluate changes in status and store things locally.

2 Likes

Thank you. One clarification, please: can the API give me historical relationships with a particular user, or only the latest, then?

You can get what the pledge history shows for a member. Also, total historic pledge reflects entire monetary amount which a patron has paid to your campaign.

As best I can tell there’s no direct means to ask for historical data beyond the most recent. You’d have to write something on your end to periodically ask for and capture changes.

1 Like