Blocked IP and API

Hey guys! I’m new here, so let me know if I need to post this somewhere else. I’ve create a fully custom website with a link to Patreon’s API. Everything has been great so far, up until Friday. Now users can’t link their Patreon accounts. I’ve looked into this as much as I can, and it looks like the issue lies in getting the user’s Patreon info. Users are able to click our Link Your Patreon button, and successfully get redirected back to our site. However, when we try to query their profile data something goes wrong. I can’t debug from our production site, obviously, but it works on our test site, which is identical, but on a different IP address. It seems like the official stance is that there are no limits on the number of requests, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we are making several thousand per day. Is this something Patreon does with excessive request makers? If so, can someone look into it for me?

Thanks,
Kris

Although I don’t know anything about the internals of the Patreon service, according to this forum there are no limits (as of December) and if you were rate-limited then you would have received an email about it:

If we ever see naughty clients via our logging, we will email the author and in extreme circumstances, will disable the client or the oauth token that is being used to create those requests, but those are extremely rare and most of our clients have been acting in a sane and responsible manner.

The problem could lie in many different places, without the ability to debug it’ll be very difficult to track down the problem, fortunately there are options to debug in production: add logging for Patreon API responses, then you can mock the Patreon service in your development environment with that response and see how your code functions.

Are you using one of the Patreon libraries or have you written your own code to interface with the Patreon API? If you need help setting up logging with one of the libraries please share which you’re using.

We created our own interface. After creating some logging logic really quick, it looks like the API is returning a 403 all the sudden. I don’t know what that means, but it leads me to believe that there is some kind of API side IP filtering going on.

This could happen if your redirect uri is set incorrectly.
If you give me the response body of the failing request I’ll be able to offer more precise help.