Compatibility Issue between Patron PRO plugin and lifetime memberships

Hey everyone,

I have two custom post types (CPTs) that I need to restrict, and I will gate content with the “Patron Pro” plugin. Patrons with tier A will get access to CPT A posts, and patrons with tier B will get access to both CPT A and B posts.

My issue is that I also have existing customers who need to have lifetime access to certain CPT B categories. Each group of customers must access freely a certain category in CPT B.

I could easily give these customers roles where each role allows access to a certain CPT B category, but Patron Pro will still disallow them from accessing the content (as they don’t have any Patreon subscription) .

So how can I solve this?
I guess one way would be to create lifetime “Paid Membership PRO (PMP)” subscriptions for these customers, each one providing access to a certain CPT B category.

But reading this post https://www.patreondevelopers.com/t/patreon-wordpress-is-now-compatible-with-paid-memberships-pro/2823 , I see that compatibility between Patreon and PMP only works for monthly subscriptions for now.

So what If I:

1. Create several Patreon tiers and hide them from Patreon frontend
  2. Create several monthly memberships in PMP (same price as the Patreon tiers I hid); assign them to the existing users and then hide them from WordPress frontend

These clients don’t need to paid monthly, they already have lifetime access. I guess there is a way to assign a PMP membership and renew it automatically without the client having to pay or receive any notification.

A last issue is that Patron PRO plugin allows access for Patron tier and for all the tiers above it, but I need to create segregated accesses instead in most cases…

Thanks for any suggestion on this!

UPDATE
by re-reading this I am starting to think the easiest solution would be to create a custom plugin that checks the user role and overwrites Patron PRO plugin if the user role matches the one assigned to the CPT category. I am not a coder but I guess this would not be too complicated to do?

You dont need any specific plugin. You can use Patron Pro to just give VIP or custom $ level status to any user who needs to be able to access locked content without having a Patreon subscription. Custom $ level will allow access to only that $ level and lower. VIP allows access to everything.

by re-reading this I am starting to think the easiest solution would be to create a custom plugin that checks the user role and overwrites Patron PRO plugin if the user role matches the one assigned to the CPT category. I am not a coder but I guess this would not be too complicated to do?

No, its not. It actually can be done easily with filters:

$result = apply_filters( ‘ppp_lock_or_not’, $result , $post_id, $declined, $user, $user_response, $post_locked_with );

That filters the lock decision that Patron Pro makes. If you hook into the ppp_lock_or_not filter, and modify the $result array, you can set it to lock, unlock, change the reason why it was locked etc. The other vars that the filter supplies can also be seen above.

I am not convinced that would do the trick as I would need different VIP levels as well, as I have to allow access for different user groups to different categories (each group must have access to a separate category).

Thanks for the code suggestions! Are you the Patreon PRO plugin developer by the way? Are you available to provide paid code receipts for my needs?

You can give different custom $ levels to these users if needed.

Unfortunately cannot take on customization projects due to existing commitments. But you should be able to do it yourself or get someone else to do it by using the info that you have been shared in the support ticket.