Implementing OAuth on a desktop plugin

Hi, I have looked at the possibilites of having a python plugin in a desktop application verify that the user is a Patreon-member using OAuth. Web development is not my forte so I’m hopeful that someone here can guide me.

I have a good grasp of steps 1-3 in the OAuth documentation, I’m redirecting the user to authorize Patreon from my app and get their single use code with which I collect their access token, but at step 4 and 5 I started to become unsure about how the user credentials should be saved on the client to safely verify the user.

I was under the impression that I can store the access token on the user’s device and then use that to verify their membership, but in the documentation it says that this should be done on my server.

It’s not entirely clear to me if this also applies to my case, but does anyone here have a suggestion on how to store a token on the user’s device that will allow me to easily verify their membership?

I was under the impression that I can store the access token on the user’s device and then use that to verify their membership, but in the documentation it says that this should be done on my server.

It would evaluate to the same. Basically the remote device must have some credential on it to call either the Patreon API or your intermediary server to check the membership. If you are distributing any specific ids to your software installations, you could use that id to check your intermediary app and that app can handle checking the membership via the local data or the Patreon api.

1 Like