New PHP error in patreon_oauth.php

Last night, the Patreon website and API went into maintenance mode, which caused my WordPress site to crash with a PHP error:

[30-Oct-2018 00:50:02 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Cannot use object of type 
WP_Error as array in /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/patreon-connect/classes/patreon_oauth.php 
on line 56

The only way to get my site running again was to remove the patreon-connect folder from my plugins directory. It seems like there should be better error handling so that when the Patreon API goes down, it doesn’t take down websites using the plugin.

Have you upgraded to 1.2.0?

Yes, I upgraded to 1.2.0 the day before this happened.

I’ll look into this for upcoming 1.2.1 which is due in 1-2 days. You can just upgrade when it is released.

1 Like

Try out 1.2.1, which was just released today. And let us know if it fixed your issue.

I’m also getting this issue and I have Version 1.2.1:

2018-11-13T17:54:16+00:00 CRITICAL Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array in /home/blindw5/public_html/blindwavellc.com/wp-content/plugins/patreon-connect/classes/patreon_oauth.php on line 56

That definitely shouldnt happen with latest package of 1.2.1. It may be that you have installed an earlier package we provided in the forum, or an earlier one from Patron Pro.

To refresh your package, just deactivate/delete your existing Patreon WordPress 1.2.1. If you have Patron Pro, it should prompt you that it is missing and it wants to fix that - if so, just go to its wizard and have it fix it.

If you dont have Patron Pro, then just reinstall PW 1.2.1 from your plugin admin after deleting it as above. It should refresh the package.

I upgraded to 1.2.2 just before last night’s maintenance window. No errors this time around. @codebard Thanks for your help!

1 Like