Securing Customer Data and Crafting Effective Data Privacy Policies

Regarding the API as a whole, I have questions about the exposure of customer data and what disclaimers I should include in my data privacy policy, etc.

For instance, the client_id is exposed when generating the login URL. What data can a person access when they possess this client_id?

In general, I’m looking for advice on how to enhance the protection of user data and how to effectively manage my data policy in alignment with the platform’s API.

What data can a person access when they possess this client_id?

Nothing in particular. Accessing any data requires an authorized access token.

In general, I’m looking for advice on how to enhance the protection of user data and how to effectively manage my data policy in alignment with the platform’s API.

If you are delivering rewards to your patrons at your site/app, try to get them login via Patreon, then use their tokens to check for their patronage at the point they are using the site, instead of syncing your campaign to your local site regularly. And if you sync your campaign regularly, avoid syncing any personal info that you dont need (just use email and Patreon user id etc), and use the membership ids to match the members to whatever info you have locally.

The best is generally using the user access tokens. Since the user gets the rewards by only checking the entitlements that happen right at that point in time.

Check out how the WP plugin does it:

This singular call allows you to get the user info needed for a user as well as the user’s entitlements in just one go. You can snip the fields that you dont need to make it more efficient and pull less info.