Better status message when payment is pending

Hi,

We’re having confusing state for new patrons. They can log in, their user gets created, but they are then still shown PATREON_TEXT_OVER_BUTTON_1 (“to view, must be member”).

The usermeta cache object for these users looks like this:

campaign_lifetime_support_cents: 0
currently_entitled_amount_cents: 3500
last_charge_date: 2021-12-01T13:58:34.000+00:00
last_charge_status: Pending
lifetime_support_cents: 0
patron_status: active_patron
pledge_cadence: 1
pledge_relationship_start: 2021-12-01T13:58:32.444+00:00
amount_cents: 3500
created_at: 2021-12-01T13:58:32.444+00:00
declined_since: 2021-12-01T13:58:34.000+00:00
currently_entitled_tiers:  ... "6838495"

As you can tell, this is a bit confusing. They are entitled to the tier and are an active patreon, but the payment is still pending which is why it shows “declined_since”.

Can this state be supported with a better description? E.g. something like “The Patreon API shows your payment as pending, please check back later”?

1 Like

This may be due to any kind of caching situation - at your site (plugins etc), your host (server side), even at the user’s browser/device or the ISP. First try to confirm that no caching is set for logged in users at your site if you use any caching plugins. Then check the caching situation at your host. Some hosts like EasyWP (Namecheap’s I believe) have server-side caching that you cannot interact with, as a user.

Hi,

I’ve pulled the above data straight from the wp_usermeta table, and I run the server myself, so no funy business on the backend.

Caching is disabled for logged in users, but I do use W3 Total cache’s object caching feature, could that be the cause?

Edit: actually, object cache has a lifetime of only 180 seconds, so that can’t be it. Database and page caches are definitely disabled for logged in users. I really do think the issue is with the Pending payment as outlined above, would you not agree?

1 Like

Yes, that could be the cause. W3 Total Cache can be overly aggressive. It may not be related to object cache directly. Try disabling W3 Total Cache and running a few tests.

I’ve contacted you through the Pro support page with more details, in short, it really does not look like a cache problem to me. Would appreciate if we can continue the conversation on the ticket. Thanks.

1 Like