Paused billing, now patrons can't log in

I have paused billing for this month.

Now anyone who was billed last month, but haven’t been billed this month because of the pause, can’t log in, even though they are still technically patrons.

I have made a new test user this month, who was billed, and that user can log in just fine, everyone else just get this:

Sorry, only patrons with $1 pledge or over can login and use our site features. Why not take this chance to become our patron or update your pledge?

So existing active patrons seem to be faultily seen as inactive.

Is there a quick fix for this, or is it best if I just switch back to Dropbox until this issue can be addressed? I don’t mind being a guinea pig and test any fixed code since the messages are starting to pour in from my patrons who can’t log in.

Edit:

I’m on Patreon Wordpress 1.5.3
Patreon Plugin Pro 1.4.6.
I have no caching plugins.
Have tried reconnecting the site.

If they havent billed this month, then they technically are not patrons. Therefore they shouldnt be able to login.

Login lock is a Patron Plugin Pro feature,

If you want to go around this, you can turn off login lock and then also add a ‘lifetime pledge’ requirement to any post using the advanced options in post locking.

Ie if you add a 5 there, any patron who paid a total of $5 in the past, will be able to log in and see the posts.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, but I don’t think technically that’s correct. When we who run Patreons suspend billing for a month, it doesn’t take away the benefits from our Patrons. We just give them a free month. They still retain all the benefits of normal, active patrons. They can still read Patron only posts. They still have access to the Patron only Discord. They are still in the Patron count. They are still, in the eyes of Patreon, Patrons. It’s only the Patreon Wordpress plugin that adds limitations that isn’t present on the Patreon website, and that doesn’t seem like it’s working as intended?

I also submitted a ticket on Codebard after I posted here after I realised this, so can continue this there if you wish.

If I do that without the login lock, then any previous Patron from months ago can just log in and have access to everything? Like you said, it’s a work around. I’m looking more for a solution to the problem. I’ve temporarily gone back to Dropbox, but I’m hoping there’s a possible fix for this issue.

Thanks for the answer, but I don’t think technically that’s correct. When we who run Patreons suspend billing for a month, it doesn’t take away the benefits from our Patrons.

This is likely not reflected in the API. Therefore cannot be interpreted by the plugin.

I also submitted a ticket on Codebard after I posted here after I realised this, so can continue this there if you wish.

That would be easier i think.

If I do that without the login lock, then any previous Patron from months ago can just log in and have access to everything

With lifetime pledge option, any patron from any time would have access to what they qualify. Ie a patron who paid $15 in total over 3 years would have access to any content with total lifetime pledge $15 or lower.

This could be made work by allowing users who have the desired total lifetime pledge to access posts by gating posts for that amount.

Like you said, it’s a work around. I’m looking more for a solution to the problem. I’ve temporarily gone back to Dropbox, but I’m hoping there’s a possible fix for this issue.

Api does not seem to expose any info for campaigns about being in paused billing status. So currently it doesnt seem that there is something we can do on plugin side for this.

sorry to butt in on this older post, but i do believe i found a workable workaround.

the problem is that currently_entitled_amount_cents is 0 on paused months. but their patron_status is still “active_patron” and last_charge_status is “Paid”.

so if the above case occurs, it would be safe to say that you are not really an active patron at 0 cents. what i found was that “will_pay_amount_cents” represents the next payment for the next payment cycle. so you could use that instead to represent their current, but paused, pledge.

2 Likes

Oh by the sweet baby Yoda, you have literally saved me from going insane, and I can’t thank you enough! I had to pause my Patreon again this month and every single day there’s multiple people asking for help about this, despite an overwhelming abundance of information available, and I have to direct them to a temporary Dropbox.

I simply edited classes/patreon_api_v2.php and changed every instance of currently_entitled_amount_cents to will_pay_amount_cents, and it seems to work beautifully. I have several test users and they have all passed the tests.

$10 is the minimum level required to access:

User A, last paid $10 on 1 September, can access, previously couldn’t.

User B, last paid $10 on 11 October, can access, previously could.

User C, last paid $1 on 1 September, can not access and gets redirected to pay $10, couldn’t previously either.

So it all seems to work just fine. The only problem is if someone cancels their pledge, but maybe I can put an OR operator in there somewhere without breaking too much…

Again, thank you so much @ccbb11 :heart:

cc: @codebard in case there is some inherent security issue doing this that he can think of.

1 Like

There isnt any security issue about that, but it will make people who pledged but not yet paid access to your content if you are not using charge upfront. Other than it will be overwritten when you update your plugin.