šŸ’” Patreon WordPress locking options guide

Can you arrange a (new) admin account and mail its credentials to ozgur@c.patreon.com so i can see this on-site? That account should be deleted after the debugging is complete.

Hello! So, I have a question but I think I may know the answer, but just want to be sure.

On my site, I am posting books that will be for Patrons at a certain tier and above. I am using a plugin for this (BookPress Pro) and when I create a new book, it asks me on the side for the Patron level, which I choose.

Then, as I add each piece (cover, copyright, TOC, chapter, etc.) it also asks me to choose the Patron level.

Now, do I have to keep putting in the Patron level for each piece? Or since the main book setup has the level selected, should each piece then default to that level?

I guess if you can see this page and flip through the pages of the embedded book, that would answer my question! lol

Thanks so much!

Iā€™ve had this same issue from the very beginning - and Iā€™ve been using the plugin for about a year.

My tiers donā€™t show up at all - it says I donā€™t have tiers for this campaign, whatever that means.

Even if I set a precise amount and go back to double check, it will randomly reset back to zero and unlock my posts, without warning. I have to regularly go back and make sure to re-input the precise amount (since selecting tiers isnā€™t even an option) to keep non-patrons from viewing the content.

Then, as I add each piece (cover, copyright, TOC, chapter, etc.) it also asks me to choose the Patron level.

PW allows you to lock any post from post type.This means that if a plugin or a theme treats some attributes for something as post types, then those also will have the gating option added by PW.

Ie, apparently the plugin you use treats various properties of ā€˜bookā€™ post type as different post types. Cover, copyright, TOC etc seem to be recorded as post types. This would end up all of them being offered the option to be locked.

You shouldnt need to lock all of those. Just locking the final ā€˜bookā€™ posts may accomplish what you need. But if any particular element of that book also needs gating like ā€˜chapterā€™ etc, you may lock them separately as well.

The page you linked gives a 404 error. Additionally, it seems to be using non pretty permalinks.

Patreon WordPress requires pretty permalinks to be turned on.

This is a very odd situation you got there Raising.

Which version of the plugin are you using?

Can you try updating to the latest version, and then manually deleting the app created for it at apps page below:

And then you can delete the saved client details in Connections section in ā€˜Patreon Settingsā€™.

This will allow you to reconnect your site to Patreon using ā€˜Connectā€™ button that will appear there.

Hi there,

I have a question about this locking function, actually. If I am understanding correctly, this seems to be aligned to the old tier function for Patreon - that members would automatically receive access to anything at that level and below in pledge. In that model, a $10 member would also be able to see the $5 member content and the $3 member content, just by default. Is that correct?

Because if so, itā€™s a bit of a problem. Patreon now allows content to be locked to a specific tier (as of Nov 2018). It no longer automatically rolls bottom up in that way. The $10 member only receives content assigned to their tier.

In my situation, the plugin feature (again, if Iā€™m understanding correctly - please let me know if that is not so) presents an issue because I have some tiers that are grouped together to see similar content. So I really do need that assignment level on a WP page to be able to lock $5 and $8 members on this page, whereas this other WP page is for $10 and $15 members. (I have some retired levels, as well as private group tiers)

What would you suggest here for being able to still use the plugin for multiple (but specific) tiers? I just decided to try using it now and was really excitedā€¦ this is a bit of a roadblock though. Thank you for reading!

In that model, a $10 member would also be able to see the $5 member content and the $3 member content, just by default. Is that correct?

Thats right.

What would you suggest here for being able to still use the plugin for multiple (but specific) tiers? I just decided to try using it now and was really excitedā€¦ this is a bit of a roadblock though. Thank you for reading!

Different tiers from same $5 level is something that may be implemented in near future, its certainly in the list of things to check soon. However when and if are not certain yet. So for the time being using any kind of workaround which you can conceive to implement your format would be the way to go.

I have a message saying ā€œYou have no tiers in this campaignā€. I have about 5 tiers, active for several years and refreshing with Ctrl + F5 doesnā€™t bring them in. Iā€™m on chrome and Iā€™ve tried an incognito window as well as the Opera browser.

Do you see a refresh button to the right of the tier box? Clicking on that refresh button does not pull in your tiers?

I just added this to my blog and it is locking all of my postsā€¦not just the ones I selected for Patreon members how do I fix that

Have you set ā€˜lock entire siteā€™ to on at Patreon Settings by accident?

Thank you for the quick reply. I had inadvertently put $5 in the settings. I removed that and now only my Patreon posts are locked .
Sorry for the unnecessary request. I should have looked further before asking.
Shannon

1 Like

I am having a problem changing the required tier level to a post. It worked fine a couple weeks ago, prior to recent updates. Currently I edit the post in the Classic editor and set the Patreon Tier setting to something other than the default. I then scroll up and click the Publish button. When I go back to my All Posts list and then edit the post again the tier shown is still the default level. And when accessing the post without being logged into the site the message tells me I need a minimum pledge of $1 and not the appropriate pledge level amount.

I checked my Patreon Health and have no messages from today. The only messages are:
cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 5000 milliseconds with 0 bytes received
which are over a day old.

WorPress Version 5.5.1
Patreon Plugin version last tested 1.6.5

It seems like your site is not saving the meta value. You can try deactivating all plugins but Patreon WordPress, and then saving the tier value. If it works at that point, then it means there is a conflict with another plugin. Then you can enable plugins one by one while testing changing the tier value after each activation and find the conflicting plugin.

After some testing I looked back and it appears older posts are now set to the default value as well. I had a newer post hold the higher tier level only tom come back later and see it was set back to default. So I am wondering is this is due to the WordPress/Plug-in versions since I am on a newer version of WP that the plugin claims to be tested on.

Minor WP versions dont have much relation to compatibility even if the compatibility is not directly listed. 1.6.5 is being tested while other things are being developed right now and it works normally.

I recommend the testing procedure i mentioned. Old posts ā€˜resettingā€™ to default value despite you have not had manually saved them is not something that should happen in a health WP installation. There may be something interfering with your metas.

I turned off every plugin I could safely disable and still had the problem. Turning of both options to automatically update posts from Patreon to WordPress, then disabling and enabling the Patreon plugin seems to have resolved the problem. During this I did, at one point, have a series of Connection Errors

delete_post_webhook - API v2 Class - UUID 6dd2464a-802f-4a75-be1a-13be20f1d73f - Response code: 404 Response :{"errors":[{"code":4,"code_name":"ResourceMissing","detail":"webhook with id 64127 was not found.","id":"6dd2464a-802f-4a75-be1a-13be20f1d73f","status":"404","title":"webhook was not found."}]}

0.00 days ago
delete_post_webhook - API v2 Class - UUID d7942df8-3f0d-4e9a-9379-20fc419a080e - Response code: 404 Response :{"errors":[{"code":4,"code_name":"ResourceMissing","detail":"webhook with id 64127 was not found.","id":"d7942df8-3f0d-4e9a-9379-20fc419a080e","status":"404","title":"webhook was not found."}]}

0.00 days ago
delete_post_webhook - API v2 Class - UUID 703d3279-2366-4eb8-9e80-ce1e17e73d5f - Response code: 404 Response :{"errors":[{"code":4,"code_name":"ResourceMissing","detail":"webhook with id 64127 was not found.","id":"703d3279-2366-4eb8-9e80-ce1e17e73d5f","status":"404","title":"webhook was not found."}]}

0.00 days ago
delete_post_webhook - API v2 Class - UUID bea6c3df-6e42-46fb-81d1-0530dd4796ec - Response code: 404 Response :{"errors":[{"code":4,"code_name":"ResourceMissing","detail":"webhook with id 64127 was not found.","id":"bea6c3df-6e42-46fb-81d1-0530dd4796ec","status":"404","title":"webhook was not found."}]}

There were many more of these and it appears only the id was changing. There are no more new ones. These were copied when I fist saw them, their times are now greater than 0.

I believe the above happened when I turned off the sync of new posts but still had the setting to Update Local posts.

With the last deactivation and activation the option to sync new posts somehow turned back on and these codes were not being generated. The issue I had where posts were resetting to the lowest tier name and $1 level (even though the tier level is higher) seemed to have stopped once the setting to Update local posts with the ones on Patreon was changed to No.

I am keeping both turned off for now and will manually import posts since we also use Discord and want the posts to be announced there as well. The Discord plugin only does this (currently) on the first publish so a manual push will hopefully allow us to better control the various annoucements. Ideally the Patreon ones do not Publish but are brought over in a Draft state and we can Publish them once we have made the changes we need to on the WordPress side.

Now, if you have update posts set to on, and if you do a full import, the Patreon-imported posts would override whatever value you set at your WP for that post. Thatā€™s working as designed. You can do a full import set the tier levels for all posts you want to set, set update posts to no, and then when you do a full import or edit some post at Patreon wont cause your local post to be overridden to lowest tier.

The newer version (1.6.6) was available on our site literally right after I posted my last message so I upgraded. Since there is the new Auto Publish setting to not Publish the new posts, I have the higher Sync Patreon posts turned on and all other sync settings Off except the Featured Image, which is set to Yes. The tier level seems to be holding fine with these settings so I am going with them. IF we make changes after publishing, we can manually make them in both locations.

1 Like

I seem to be having problems with this feature.

I have a page set up requiring Patreon Level $8 and a $100 lifetime pledge.

What I expected to happen is the $100 lifetime requirement would supersede the $8 requirement, meaning a brand new patron at $8 would not be able to access the page, but a long time patron at $8 who has been a patron for 13 months ($104 lifetime) would have access.

But this is not what is happening. Brand new $8 patrons can still see the page.

And while the $1 patrons are locked out, but see the message that you need $8 monthly or $100 lifetime to access the content, meaning that the pledge amount and the lifetime pledge amount serves as an OR case.

The workaround I made was to set the pledge requirement to a higher number like $45, and set the lifetime pledge at $100. in this case it works somewhat as expected. A new $8 patron will not have access and a $8 patron with a lifetime pledge of over $100 has access.

Although I suspect, a $45 patron will have access even if they donā€™t have a lifetime pledge of $100.