[RESOLVED!] 5/25/2020 Critical Error: WordPress Plugin Update Breaks WordPress Websites

This happened immediately upon updating the Patreon plugin with today’s update (~1 hour ago) on a clean WordPress 5.2 install. Updating with more details shortly.

Updated Information: I had to go into safe mode to grab this from the dashboard.

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error .
Warning : include_once(patreon_content_sync.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /[domain path removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/patreon-connect/classes/patreon_wordpress.php on line 43

Warning : include_once(): Failed opening ‘patreon_content_sync.php’ for inclusion (include_path=’.:’) in /[domain path removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/patreon-connect/classes/patreon_wordpress.php on line 43

Fatal error : Uncaught Error: Class ‘Patreon_Content_Sync’ not found in /[domain path removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/patreon-connect/classes/patreon_wordpress.php:61 Stack trace: #0 /[domain path removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/patreon-connect/patreon.php(147): Patreon_Wordpress->__construct() #1 /[domain path removed for privacy]/wp-admin/includes/plugin.php(2255): include(’/home/steped4/l…’) #2 /[domain path removed for privacy]/wp-admin/plugins.php(177): plugin_sandbox_scrape(‘patreon-connect…’) #3 {main} thrown in /[domain path removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/patreon-connect/classes/patreon_wordpress.php on line 61

@codebard

Sorry, SVN quirk. Immediately fixed.

Just delete the existing one, and reinstall from your WP plugin admin and it should work. Thanks for reporting it.

1 Like

Perfect, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My pleasure. Good luck with post syncing. If you encounter issues or have any feedback, make sure to let us know.

yeah, this crashed my site too. Now because I had to deactivate the plugin, all my items are available to be seen on one of my sites. Is there a way to fix this and get it working as normal again?

Fixed! I deleted the plugin and re-downloaded / installed it. Works fine for now.

1 Like

How am I to uninstall the plugin and reinstall when I can’t connect due to the fatal error from this plugin? Even if I try to access in safe mode, all I get is the “there has been a critical error on your website” message.

I contacted my webhost and they deactivated it, thus giving me access to our website again so I could delete it and reinstall it.

So, just had to learn a quick lesson on how to manipulate the WP plugin directory on bitnami, but I was able to get it removed by removing the patreon_connect directory in plugins.

The next question is … is the version that’s up on the Plugins page fixed? Can I trust that this plugin has actually been fixed? This seems like the kind of error that QA should have caught before it was released to the wild.

Are you using a bitnami docker image or kubernetes helm chart?

is the version that’s up on the Plugins page fixed

Its fixed and tested, you can reinstall it from WP admin.

Neither, Bitnami on Lightsail

Virtual machine image, i gather. In any case you should be able to install the plugin without issues.