Users Not Able To Connect

@medellinguru @Tiffany_J fetch_creator_info and fetch_tiers calls failing in your logs. This points to your site connection to api having been broken at one point.

Even if you did it before, apply the steps in the below guide to force refresh your site connection to Patreon.

After that, try clicking refreshing your tiers by clicking the refresh button next to the dropdown in ‘Patreon level’ metabox in WP post editor.

If these issues continue, both of you prepare temporary admin accounts at your site and mail them to ozgur@c.patreon.com - you should not mail any kind of login information to anyone else but this email, and you should delete them after the debugging is complete.

@codebard I tried to the steps in the guide to force refresh of my site connection to Patreon and tried the other step and still access problem for a patron.

I sent you a temporary admin account via email.

Tried all that, no dice. Same problems as before.

Just sent you the temporary admin account via email as well.

What was the next thing you needed from me?

@Tiffany_J @medellinguru And anyone whose patrons were having consistent unlocking/connection issues - you can try the below new package and see if this fixes those issues:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3omwfjj4iuuni52/patreon-connect-currencies_fix_for_lite_plans.zip?dl=1

This package addresses an issue with currency handling in Lite plan creators and fixes some problems that you would be experiencing as a creator and they as patrons.

To try the package, first take a full backup of your site. Then deactivate/delete ‘Patreon WordPress’ plugin from your WP admin. Upload and activate this package.

The obvious change you would see would be that now there is information in ‘Patreon level’ metabox in post editor about Lite plans and how tiers cannot be used with Lite plan and instead you should use $ amount. Also how Patreon will try to default to $5 even if you lock your content for amounts lower than $5.

The patrons should be able to unlock content normally with this.

@blindwave This package will likely not address your issue since you people are likely not on lite plan but you can try it as well. Other than that, if you could get info on the currencies which these patrons use and the exact tier or $ amount (and if they are custom pledge patrons) - that would help. The step after this is you arranging me a temporary admin account at your site and mailing details to ozgur@c.patreon.com.

The package works for lite creators and pro and above creators above. It should also work when you upgrade/downgrade from/to lite

It worked!! Thanks guys!

1 Like

Great to hear. Just let me know if you spot anything unusual.

The fix is out as 1.6.8. You can just upgrade via your plugin admin.

Read this thread as I’m having the same problem right now, and I am on a Pro plan. I see it’s fixed in an update, but my Patrons are still caught in a loop trying to access my Wordpress content. And indeed, the connection errors in the health check show people trying to log in and not succeeding.
My wordpress site is using Your site is using:

WP 5.5.3 with PHP 7.3.23
Patreon WordPress 1.6.9 with API v2

Can you create a test Patreon account with a new mail and try unlocking to a $1 or so locked test post at your site?

Hi, already did that, and indeed, I can not unlock posts as a Patron. Keep going in a loop when I click the Unlock with Patron button.
I also deleted my API Client and reconnected with the setup Wizard just now to be sure it’s forced to v2.

The same problem persists.

What tier/$ level was the content locked for, and how much did you pledge with your test account?

I myself did Tier 1, my fellow admin did the top tier, Tier 3. Same result. I asked one of my Patrons in tier 2, same too

Do you have caching plugin at your site? Does your host have a server side cache? Is a CDN being used for your site?

Aha, yes I do! And I’ve checked back, put the Cache plugin up at the same time one of the patrons alerted me. Could that be it?

Aggressive caching plugins may cause this behavior. Especially if caching is turned on for logged in users (shouldnt be turned on). Also hosts’ server side caching schemes - including opcache - may effect this kind of thing.

Which caching plugin are you using?

I recently started using Siteground Optimizer. Now I’m back to WP Super Cache!

You can check if WP super cache has ‘Cache pages for known/logged in users’ option on.

Also you can try disabling it and checking if it makes a difference.

WP Super Cache doesn’t seem to generate the same problem, as now patrons can log in with no problems. Thank you for your answer!

1 Like