Users Not Able To Connect

I’ve had users try PC and mobile, as well as multiple browsers.

I downloaded the utility debug tool plugin, here is the results for a patron with the access problem today.

Valid

This is for a patron that I deleted the user on WordPress today and he tried to access a locked post again without success. This patron pledged to an exact tier as an annual subscriber and every locked post including the one he tried to view today on my site are set to “Any Patron”

20 patrons contacted me in one day (Thursday) about problems accessing a locked post. The problem appears to be frequent on cell phone and tablets but also is happening on computers.

I had to unlock the post as was obvious this was impacting more patrons. This has been happening for over 3 weeks now, I was contacted a handful of times per week until this last week, when I have been swamped with patrons unable to access content. I expect that most patrons are having a problem and haven’t contacted me yet.

Over a month ago this never happened. Obviously Patreon made some change that is causing this.

I am now afraid to publish a new locked post, as I will be bombarded by patrons that can’t access the post. This is a SERIOUS PROBLEM and is unacceptable and needs to be fixed ASAP. I was using the free Patreon plugin but switched to Patron Plugin Pro hoping it would fix the problem, but it does not.

When I let patrons know about the problem I was told by some patrons they are having problems on several other sites using Patreon. Also, there are 3 in this thread with the problem.

If this is not fixed soon, I will be be forced to unlock over 100 posts and move my locked content directly to Patreon and get rid of the Patreon plugin that does not work.

Note as a new user this forum limited how many times I could post in a day.

1 Like

Valid

The forced refresh did not work.

I also tried the forced refresh, does not work.

Hello?? Please help!!

Yes, where is the help and support? Tried here, sent help ticket to Codebard and many tickets to Patreon.

@blindwave Occurrences of such api connection situations in connection logs is not an indicator of a problem by themselves - they can be caused by any issue - temporary connectivity problem in between your server and Patreon, temporary load at the api, at your server etc. They are generally automatic attempts to keep tokens fresh. The more users your website has the more such listings should appear.

In your case the patrons experiencing this problem being low compared to the amount of users you have sounds more like a situation with those particular patrons. It would be hard to debug this situation without doing work at your site with the help of those affected patrons.

@Tiffany_J @medellinguru All of your patrons getting affected despite such a situation not being reported by others or rest of the 4000+ sites with the plugin active may be due to a situation at your site - any or more than one of the below:

• You may have caching plugins installed with caching for logged in users or similar settings active. Try disabling those plugins and seeing if this changes anything.

• Your host may have opcache. Opcache is a server side cache feature and it may cache unexpected things. Contact your host and ask about this. If there is any means to clear or disable opcache at your host, try clearing/disabling it to see if this changes anything.

• Using any WP caching plugin on a server with opcache may cause issues. Make sure you are not doing that.

• Your host may be caching cookies. Some hosts like WPEngine do that. Contact your host and ask about this.

• Your host’s server may be filtering Patreon IPs for security purposes. Contact your host to make sure this is not happening.

• Additionally any security plugin you install at your site may filter out any ‘suspicious’ connection, page request or even users. If you have any plugin like Wordfence, disable those and try.

Especially try the ones who involve contacting your host.

If your host is uncooperative or these do not effect any change, I can arrange you a reference test account with a fresh WP site at a Codebard server, to which you can connect your Patreon account and we can run a test to see if your host has any effect on the situation.

1 Like

@codebard No caching plugins at all used on my site. And no caching by the host as catching does not work with my Wordpress theme. I started using Patreon in January and the problems started last month. Only change I made was changing from the free Patreon plugin to the paid one, thinking it might help with the problem.

I’m happy to provide whatever you need.

@medellinguru Opcache would be transparently installed and enabled by your host. There is no way of knowing it without contacting them.

In any case you need to confirm that and the ip filtering situation.

@blindwave This will require some back and forth and potentially code changes to the plugin at your side to debug. We can look into this monday and on. Until then, if you could collect information on the affected patrons and look into finding a common pattern, that would help a lot.

@blindwave If i remember right, you have Patron Pro - for the time being you can just assign a custom $ level that matches their tier to the affected users via their user profile. This should get around any plugin / api related issues if they exist, and allow them to access the tier level from which they subscribed until debug can be done.

@codebard Found out my host has caching, flushed the cache and patron sill unable to connect. This is not the issue, patrons did not have a problem a month ago.

Also, my host Flywheel has Intelligent IP blocking on their security systems to detect intruders and hackers and blocks them. Again this is not the issue, patrons did not have a problem a month ago.

I have collected information on an affected patron that is willing to test. Also, I have a list of other patrons who have reported problems.

Ok, giving them a custom $ level has got them working for now.

1 Like

Intelligent IP blocking

Such algorithms and rules change from time to time and update themselves. Some ip block not being filtered a few months ago does not mean they wont be filtered into the future. Unless they are specifically whitelisted. You may ask your host to whitelist any ip that reverse-resolves to *.patreon.com . That may help this issue and help any potential future issues.

Additionally i remember you mentioned you have Patron Pro. You can also use the trick i described while replying to blindwave to temporarily fix your patrons’ connectivity issue until debug can be done.

@codebard assigning a custom $ level does not work for me. Patron still can’t access content. I set “Custom Patreon level” to $1 for this patron and every locked post on my site is set to Patreon Level “Any Patron”.

All locked post at your site being set to any patron may point to your site losing connection to Patreon. If the site loses connection to Patreon, the plugin unlocks the content.

In such cases, applying the guide below again works:

@codebard - followed these steps and the Patron with access issues still cannot access content.

See some new connection errors.

0 days ago

Response code: 401 Response :{“error”: “invalid_grant”}

0.01 days ago

Response code: 401 Response :{“error”: “invalid_grant”}

0.01 days ago

fetch_creator_info - API v2 Class - UUID 14e5d7e7-55db-41c1-a630-38c7474ea2af - Response code: 401 Response :{“errors”:[{“code”:1,“code_name”:“Unauthorized”,“detail”:“The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn’t understand how to supply the credentials required.”,“id”:“14e5d7e7-55db-41c1-a630-38c7474ea2af”,“status”:“401”,“title”:“Unauthorized”}]}

Guys, I’m not a technical person and I have no idea what I’m doing here.

I don’t have any security plugins running. Getting the same issue with brand new patrons. Same error code, over and over:

fetch_tiers - API v2 Class - UUID 9b332bc1-5c3a-4e07-ab27-d6fe44db2809 - Response code: 401 Response :{“errors”:[{“code”:1,“code_name”:“Unauthorized”,“detail”:“The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn’t understand how to supply the credentials required.”,“id”:“9b332bc1-5c3a-4e07-ab27-d6fe44db2809”,“status”:“401”,“title”:“Unauthorized”}]}

Details again:
WP 5.5.1 with PHP 7.3.22
Patreon WordPress 1.6.7 with API v2

Note: I just spent an hour with WordPress support. They cleared all caches and read through this forum for all the suggestions. They also don’t know what is wrong. They’re escalating the issue.