Choose available tier for To view this content, you must be a member of ... at ... or more

Problem
Right now the plugin shows a confusing message to non patrons displaying the amount for a plan that is no longer available (early bird pricing, long time gone):

To view this content, you must be a member of Olympic’s Patreon at $10 or more

This is causing a lot of confusion as patrons are signing up for the wrong tier: they take the $3 tier with no benefits and augment their pledge to $10 but are locked out of the content. The users are blaming me for posting the wrong amount and making the signup confusing and difficult.

Solution requested
The plugin should display the value for the first available tier instead of the first tier that has access but that is no longer available and link directly to it so that users land directly in the plan they want to use.

Another alternative would be for authors to choose the plan that should be displayed, which would help us a lot experimenting with pricing.

I’m not a developer, but if you give me the code I can add it myself where you tell me to or hire somebody to implement it. I’ve read the filters documentation but if I understand it well, what I can do is change the tier that has access to the post, not display the cheapest available tier to access the post, which would lock out existing early bird long time supporters.

The plugin should display the value for the first available tier

That ends up causing confusion when a patron cant unlock the content after a pledge flow because he or she pledged from a lower tier than required.

I’m not a developer, but if you give me the code I can add it myself where you tell me to or hire somebody to implement it

There are a plethora of hooks and filters that allow you to modify the plugin’s behavior. You can show whatever message you want in that interface using those. Your case is simple because you want to show the lowest tier.

Particularly using the ptrn/final_state_label_over_universal_button filter would allow you to show whatever text you want in that message.

Thank you for answering Oz.

What is causing confusion is the current display of the price for an unpublished tier that is sold out. The next tier is also sold out but I keep it public to entice patrons not to wait to sign-up.

There’s also a tier with no benefits that people are using and upping the contribution in hopes of getting access to the content, which they don’t and complain about.

Thank you for the filter tip. Where should filters be applied ? functions.php?

Are there examples of filters implementations somewhere?

If the case was so simple it wouldn’t be a case and the plugin would take care of it :wink:

I don’t want to show the lowest tier, I want to show the first AVAILABLE tier that unlocks the content. Here are my tiers.

What is causing confusion is the current display of the price for an unpublished tier that is sold out. The next tier is also sold out but I keep it public to entice patrons not to wait to sign-up.

If you locked your post with a custom amount, that may happen. Or if you have not refreshed the tier list (tiny refresh button next to tier dropdown in post editor’s locking metabox) for a while.

Thank you for the filter tip. Where should filters be applied ? functions.php?

That would work. Putting it in a custom plugin is always better.

If the case was so simple it wouldn’t be a case and the plugin would take care of it

Generally yes. But there are cases in which backwards compatibility concerns override potential changes. Because people build their own code on this stuff, so…

I don’t want to show the lowest tier, I want to show the first AVAILABLE tier

If you locked a post for that exact tier, that should show for that post.

1. No I haven’t locked the post with a custom amount. I’m using the amount and plan of the early backers which is $10, so that they and all upper tiers will have access to the content.

2. Can you do this yourself? How much would it be and how long will it take?

I wouldnt be able to take this on for you at this time. Someone else in the forum might. However its not difficult either. Dropping something like this into a custom plugin or theme’s functions.php should do it:

add_filter('ptrn/final_state_label_over_universal_button', 'my_patreon_label_filtering_function');

function my_patreon_label_filtering_function($text) {

return 'My custom text here';

}
1 Like