Connect creators` accounts to platform with personal subscribe option

Hello, everybody,

My first post here, I truly hope it`s not a duplicate, but I have not found what I was looking for. So I am creating a platform which will have two types of users - creators and regular users. They will all be registered and connected through Patreon accounts. The creators must have their Patreon creator accounts connected and when posting they must be able to lock their own posts according to their tiers and rules. When a user wants to unlock the content of that particular creator they are redirected to subscribe to them specifically. From what I read in the forum may be I either need to create different apps for different creators OR connect them to different campaigns (which I am not sure I understand)? Is this even possible and if so how may I achieve this? Thank you in advance!

Petrina

Yes, you will have to create different apps for those creators. Each must go through the connection sequence to Patreon and an app must end up being created and its details saved.

So basically you can take the logic in the WP plugin, copy it to save the app for a specific user instead of entire site. Also, provide different redirect uris for returning from Patreon for each creator.

Ie,

• Creator a must have a mysite.com/creatora/patreon-authorization url as redirect url.
  • Creator goes through the app creation process. An app for creator a is created and saved.
  • Any Unlock with Patreon button that Creator a’s content has, must send the user to Patreon with this -app id and this redirect uri.
  • When user returns to that redirect uri, the user can unlock creator a’s post.

As you can see, this requires some advanced coding. But the logic is pretty straightforward.

Thank you so much for your reply! I will try and follow through with the logic. :grimacing: :nerd_face:
I would like to ask as you said:

… copy it to save the app for a specific user instead of entire site

Does this mean it is not a good idea to have users login/register with Patreon (as they are connecting to the site`s app)?
Can one user be connected to more than one app of the same site at a time, or do they have to switch between apps if they are subscribed to more than one creator?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Does this mean it is not a good idea to have users login/register with Patreon (as they are connecting to the site`s app)?

Not at all. When you use just your own creator account to allow users to log in, you are already allowing the same thing. Allowing creators to create apps to connect to your site is just doing it on a larger scale.

Of course, keeping many app credentials for many clients in your website is a serious matter. Your security should be tight to protect all those app client secrets.

Whether a user can be connected to more than one app at the same time would depend on how you code your implementation. Basically with every viewing of gated content, you will have to check for that user’s pledge to that particular creator. This would require that user to have logged in via that creator’s app of course.

1 Like

Thank you so much, for your answers! I am sorry for being late with mine. I am just a beginner and it all sounds a bit scary and complicated, but I am diving in and see what happens :slight_smile: Thank you once more!

2 Likes