Looking For Some Tech Advice for the use-case

Hey Guys,

My name is Shred, and I’m building a product in the voice-first platform for creators. I read through the documentation, and I wasn’t certain about the use-case [1] (listed below).

And I’m inclined to use Patreon APIs for the following use-cases:

[1] Subscription: Would like to add/subscribe users as ‘Patrons’ for creators via the voice-apps (Alexa, Google Actions)
[2] Authentication: for the subscribers to be able to access the gated ‘Patreon-only’ content

Can someone please help with [1], and see if this is something that’s possible at this point?

Thank you so much, guys. And sorry for the trouble (I’m a noob in Patreon API world).

Best,
Shred

1 Like

As far as i know, for 1), you will need to be able to link different creators to different campaigns in your app(s).

So that when a visitor clicks unlock with Patreon on a piece of content, they will be directed to the relevant campaign of that particular creator.

You can also use the universal unlock flow which the WordPress plugin uses. It takes users to Patreon to pledge, login/register if they havent, and then redirects back to original content.

There you can do a check for patronage of user to that relevant campaign(creator) and then unlock the content if the pledge is matching the tier.

1 Like

Hey there,

Thank you so much. I will take a look at the suggested option. Since it’s a voice-first (and voice-only) interaction, adding buttons will not be an option. All the heavy work (payload), would be sent via APIs from our client apps to creator’s campaign in Patreon. Including new patreons. Not sure if this is something that’s possible at this point in time :confused:

Let me know if you have any thoughts, and thank you once again for your time :slight_smile:

Best,
Shred

Anyways, let me go throguh

Well it doesnt need to be a button. However you can trigger the mechanism to check the API for an identified user would work.

If only patrons are going to access this thing and they have to log in / identify somewhere else first (like an app), then no buttons would be necessary. Buttons sending to pledge flow are useful when you expose gated content to public to allow them to become patrons by unlocking to access content.

So assuming that, say, you have a mobile app which auto-identifies its users, your backend can match a logged in user to a Patreon user, then check the api for that user’s status. If user does not have enough pledge for a content, you dont show it. But if you show something to the user like saying ‘you must pledge/upgrade to access this content’, sending them somehow to pledge flow would be good.

1 Like

Hey Buddy,

Thank you so much for taking this time with this question! Really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Yeah, the issue is that the users (vast majority) will not be a ‘patreons’ to begin with. So, we’d want them to ‘subscribe’ or ‘create a new patreons’ when they want to unlock ‘gated’ content from our voice-apps. So, ideally, the API we’d use for [1] is to create a new patron (for that creator) and subsequently authenticate ‘patreons’ before serving the ‘gated’ content.

So, not sure if [1] is possible at this time :confused:

Best,
Shred

To see a working flow, you can just set up a WP site somewhere, install the WP plugin of Patreon, connect to your Patreon creator account and test it with a patron account using another email.

WP plugin has a very good pledge flow which allows non patrons to register/login/pledge then unlock your content automatically.

You can use some of that logic in your app as well.

There will need to be a mechanism with which non patrons should be able to initiate to go to pledge flow of course.

1 Like

gotcha! Let me explore and play with the ‘WP Plugin’, and see how we can make it work :slight_smile:

Thanks much for your time, buddy! Have a nice day.

Best,
Shred

1 Like