Error when trying to login in, can't connect via OAuth either

I installed and configured the Patreon Connect FREE version manually with my credentials. Once I did that and set to admins can login, I clicked the Patreon login and received this error message. I’m running the latest version of WordPress (5.3.2) and can’t seem to connect. Running PHP 7.4 on WP Engine. Tried rolling back to 7.3 but nothing changed.

The site is https://netmix.com.

It’s a WordPress network, as well, if that makes any difference.

I also can’t connect via the Setup Wizard with Auth either.

You likely have a previously created app for this site in apps page:

Just delete it, and then restart setup from your site and it should work out.

Sorry, not working out.

I deleted the app and tried to reconnect, but I still get the error when I login. I realized by looking at these forums that I was using API 1, so I deleted the key and switched to API 2 and did everything over again. I reconnect. I see that it adds the APP in the Patreon Apps page. I make sure all the credentials are correct, but when I try to login again using the button, it throws the error that I posted.

Also, when I try to disconnect the site, it blocks in WordPress from accessing that process. Says I can’t access that page or don’t have authorization to access that page. So, I’m not really sure why that is, but I’m blocked from accessing pages when trying to disconnect in WordPress.

I am still getting this error: {“error”:“invalid_request”,“error_description”:“Mismatching redirect URI.”,“state”:“eyJmaW5hbF9yZWRpcmVjdF91cmkiOiJodHRwOlwvXC9uZXRtaXguY29tIn0=”}

1 Like

Ok, that’s better - that is a particular error.

That means that the redirect uri setting which you can see in your site’s Patreon Settings → Connection section is different from what is saved at the app’s details at Patreon.

Since 1.5.3 is out, you can try this:

• Upgrade to 1.5.3 from your plugin admin

• Delete all apps you have at Patreon for this site.

• Go to your site’s Patreon Settings → Connection details.

• Delete all fields which you can delete, and click ‘Save’.

• Click ‘Connect’ button which will appear when page loads. (Ignore the error on top).

And let me know if you can successfully connect the site.

Okay, will do. I did just take the update, but my developer changed something - I’m not sure what, and got it working, but I’ll let him know about your reply and we’ll factor that and figure it out from there. I’ll let you know.

BTW, if I get the warning when I’m trying to login that says the same email is already being used and to login first then login with Patreon, that’s not very clear. How do you login first and THEN LOGIN AGAIN with Patreon?

That message appears when there is already an account in WP which uses that Patreon email. In case Patreon email is not verified, the accounts cant be automatically linked. In that case the user must first log into WordPress with his/her WP account, then log in via Patreon or unlock a content to have the accounts linked.

Hi there!
I have the exact same problem and started doing the steps above. BUT I kind of messed up and deleted the connection details BEFORE the app on my Patreon site… Now I can not delete the app because I do not have the client secret.
How do I proceed?

Best regards,
Frida
info@getthehorizon.com

Plugin info:
WP 5.7.1 with PHP 7.4.16
Patreon WordPress 1.7.4 with API v2
Patron Plugin Pro 1.4.8
Patreon Button, Widgets and Plugin 2.0.9

Oh yeah this is the error code showing when trying the connecting wizard:
{“errors”:[{“code”:3,“code_name”:“ParameterInvalid”,“detail”:“Invalid parameter for ‘oauth_client_id’: 7800.”,“id”:“c06a382d-5cd7-49e1-81c5-623515d8e44f”,“source”:{“parameter”:“oauth_client_id”},“status”:“400”,“title”:“Invalid value for parameter ‘oauth_client_id’.”}]}

Yeah, if you already connected a site with the setup wizard, that error message comes up. Just visit the below page and delete the app for that site:

Then you can empty all fields in the connection details at your site and restart the setup wizard with ‘Connect’ button.

Did you miss my first entry? I am kind of stomped because I do not know my client secret now.

When you expand the details of the new app you created in the page i referred, can you not see the details including client secret?

1 Like

Yes I could, I just did not try to expand since there was a direct delete button :sweat_smile:
Now everything is working, and my patrons can log in on my site. Thanks for the support and patience! :grin:

1 Like