Feature suggestion - acquire Patreon posts

Recently I was looking for help on reading data from Patreon posts. I already found a workaround for this (thanks to LiraNuna), but then philidini said this:

So here I am.

Use case: Display Patreon posts on an external website.
The idea behind it is simple - instead of using other websites (such as Wordpress) for blogging, just use Patreon itself.
There are few significant advantages of this:

• You don’t have to handle patron authorization - that makes patreon only content more secure (since when you are coding that yourself some security breaches may occur) and website more accessible (patrons don’t have to log in on every website).
  • Posts display on your Patreon profile - as simple as it seems, it actually can significantly improve the first impression for a random, Patreon browsing user.
  • Use of Patreon build-in features - since everything is handled by Patreon itself, you can use features such as scheduling, early-access, featured tags or that really nice image blur.

How to achieve this:
There are 2 main ways of how API could provide such functionality.

• Widget - an embeddable link to a website to use with an iframe. While it doesn’t allow for customization, it’s extremely easy to use, especially to inexperienced programmers.
  • API request - a simple request which returns data from all posts in a campaign. Since this requires the website designer to handle all rendering, not everyone would be able to use this. However, such a request allows for 100% customization.

It would be great if both options where available. And what do you think about it?

2 Likes

Hi! I’m Buster, and a new member of Patreon’s platform team, but this topic has come up several times in my first month here.

Long story short, I think we’re leaning towards supporting this… we want to remove as many steps as we can for creators to extend their patron-enhanced experiences across the web.

There are still some open questions about how and when we want to approach this use case, and the reverse (posting into Patreon from other products). But not if.

2 Likes

Hi, @buster
I hope you are still a member of Patreon’s platform team.
It’s now April 2019 … if there any update on this functionality ?
I’d like to be able to display Patreon’s post on the website I’m doing.

Thanks,
Gianluca.

Anything? Would also love to hear your current thoughts on this.

Hi @Tobi,

This is great feedback and something we’re definitely thinking about. We’ll likely look to test a version of this sometime in the next quarter or two!

1 Like

Hey guys, I want this too. Up until the recent Cloudflare move, I was able to do this via https://github.com/daemionfox/patreon-feed

Cept now, it’s dead. So anything official from Patreon to get the posts so we can continue to use Patreon as the blog would be incredibly useful.

2 Likes

I was also doing this, and it’s also dead so I can’t work around this anymore

2 Likes

Hi @nsethi, with the recent change of using Cloudflare, this is probably needed sooner rather than later. Could you make a push to get an API update to allow us to pull posts via RSS?

@nsethi @daemionfox I second this, I’d like a resolution soon since the other api endpoint was recently disabled. See also API Returning Cloudflare Challenge

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @daemionfox and @cynicaloptimist. I will bump the priority of this item in our backlog, but I can’t promise a timeline at this point in time. We’ll continue to track occurrences of this request!

1 Like

Another thing to add: all of our supported APIs are the ones documented at docs.patreon.com. We do not officially support any of the other endpoints available at this time, but we will definitely update the documentation as we make more endpoints available!

The published API’s aren’t enough for how we attract our patrons, which is why we went to third party tools. You’ve provided RSS feeds for the audio clients, but not for anything else. But that’s really all we want, a general RSS feed for posts. Public posts in full, and non-public posts with a title and a tier and possibly a link to direct people to sign up.

Let’s get an RSS feed for everything please!

I would also really like this feature.

Hey @nsethi seems that a lot of your developer users would really like this feature. Can you guys get it moved up on your development list? It’s something that’s pretty crucial to a lot of people’s strategies to bring in new Patreon clients.

Can you give us a timeline for when a post retrieval API call will be added or a public RSS feed for non-audio posts?

3 Likes

@nsethi while you ponder how to implement this officially, could you at least remove the restrictions on the inofficial API until this has been resolved?

1 Like

Hey @nsethi has there been any progress on this? (Been a month since the last post) I know the request has been in the backlog for some time, is there at least a date on when we can retrieve posts via API or RSS?

@daemionfox we’re still trying to figure out the relative priority for this work; please bare with us. We’re prioritizing some creator-facing improvements, but will try to get this slotted soon! I still can’t promise a timeline though, but will definitely let you know the second I’m sure we’re going to begin work progressing against it.

1 Like

@nsethi @codebard is there any update on this? As an alternative, a working RSS feed for my posts would help a lot already.

1 Like

Seems that the relative priority is rather low.

Sad but true. I’m still hopeful though…