Can't Connect to Patreon

I cannot connect the Patreon WordPress Plugin with Patreon.

The Setup wizard doesn’t work (when I click “Allow” to “Create an OAuth client for your campaign”, I receive the error " Fatal error : Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method Patreon_API::create_refresh_client()").

I tried to connect manually (I created a Client, copied the Redirect URI from the Plugin, chose v2, and then copied the 4 credentials back to the plugin). The system says Success, but I cannot see the tires on the post editor.

I deleted and reinstalled the Patreon plugin many times, but nothing changed.

I noticed two odd things:
1. When I delete and reinstall the plugin the settings are remembered including the custom call to action! Perhaps, the plugin also “remembers” some old settings?!
2. When I run the Setup wizard, the client is automatically deleted form the Patreon’s page (and I have to create it again).

Any suggestion what I might do?

Are you using Patron Pro?

No, I am using “Patreon WordPress”

Which version do you have?

I believe I have the latest version 1.4.7
Also the WordPress is 5.3.2
And PHP 7.3

Where are you hosted? Is it possible to set your PHP to 7.2 and see if the same issue will materialize?

As far as i can see, im unable to reproduce this with PW 1.4.7 and PHP 7.2.

Yes, I can set the PHP to 7.2
Unfortunately the error persists:
Fatal error : Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method Patreon_API::create_refresh_client() in /home/invikicl/public_html/wp-content/plugins/patreon-connect/classes/patreon_routing.php:329 Stack trace: #0 /home/invikicl/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(288): Patreon_Routing->parse_request(Object(WP)) #1 /home/invikicl/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(312): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array) #2 /home/invikicl/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(544): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #3 /home/invikicl/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp.php(387): do_action_ref_array(‘parse_request’, Array) #4 /home/invikicl/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp.php(729): WP->parse_request(’’) #5 /home/invikicl/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php(1255): WP->main(’’) #6 /home/invikicl/public_html/wp-blog-header.php(16): wp() #7 /home/invikicl/public_html/index.php(17): require(’/home/invikicl/…’) #8 {main} thrown in /home/invikicl/public_html/wp-content/plugins/patreon-connect/classes/patreon_routing.php on line 329

Do you have any other Patreon WordPress plugin listed in your plugin manager? Or Patreon Connect?

You can try deleting every single instance of Patreon WordPress and re-installing latest from WP repo using your plugin manager.

I don’t have any other Patreon plugin.

I am trying to re-install the plugin all day. The odd thing is even when I delete the Patreon WordPress and re-install it from wp repo, the text I have inserted in the Custom Call to Action Field appears again in the supposed newly installed plugin.

Ok, this is likely a v1 installation vs v2 installation issue. Your site is an old site and therefore was set up with v1 api. This is why it is marked for v1 and the plugin is loading the v1 api class. Hence the error.

Setup wizard is set to work with v2 api and v2 clients. That is why you are experiencing this problem.

If you dont want to stay with your v1 installation and instead want to move to a v2 installation, a built-in method for this does not exist at this time. The best route is performing the below, one time operation:

1 - Deleting the existing listed app for your site at clients page:

2 - Then deleting the patreon-installation-api-version option saved in your WP’s options table in database.

Then you can re-run setup wizard.

This conundrum exists due to there not being an easy way to transition existing v1 clients to v2 clients on api side.

I am going to arrange some method to make it easier in the next release. (likely within early next week).

Until then you may stay with your v1 installation by creating a v1 client and c/ping its details, or you can perform the above steps.

Thank you for the support. I still cannot make it work. I created v1 client and copped the details. Despite this, I cannot see my tires. Instead the drop down says “You have no tires for this campaign”. If I open the Patreon website/settings/apps I can see “No Integrated Apps Found” but I am logged in “Patreon WordPress by Patreon”.

At this stage, I thing I will give up and delete the plugin. I may try again some time in the future, since it is a really good plugin.

1 Like