Conflict with Yoast SEO plugin

Hi there,

My patrons were stuck in a login loop that prevented them from completing the login process and viewing protected content at emilysuess.com.

The good news is that I found the plugin causing the conflict: Yoast SEO. The bad news is that I really need SEO and want to keep Yoast because I’ve already sunk so much time into optimizing my content.

My questions:

• Has anyone else also had this problem and found a workaround? Like a setting I can toggle?
  • Is this a known issue that developers are interested in resolving? (In other words should I wait a while to see if one day they’ll play nice? Or should I rip the bandaid off quickly?)

Thanks!
-Emily

Hi Emily!

Youre the first one to report this issue. I’ll look into this and see what we can do today.

1 Like

Emily, that’s totally bad news! Could you share what WP, Patreon and Yoast versions you use? I also use Yoast but haven’t heard about any issues so far from my Patrons - nevertheless maybe I should wait with some updates then :slight_smile:

Sure, I’m using:

WordPress 5.3
Yoast SEO 12.6.2
Patreon WordPress 1.4.0

When I deactivated Yoast, I was able to complete a first-ever Patreon sign in of any kind. I just recently added PW. So maybe there isn’t a problem for people with existing installs? No clue, just speculating on what my issue could be.

That’s awesome. Let me know if there are any other details you need.

There may be something else that is causing your issue.

Lets see if the above package will fix it. It has a fix that may address the issue.

To try it out, you can deactivate/delete your existing Patreon WordPress, then upload/activate this new package from above.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I have tested with my dummy account and it seems to be working. I’m going to ask the patrons I heard from to try logging in again.

Have you deleted your dummy account inside WP first, to try logging in as a new patron? Just delete that user from user admin in WP, and then go through the pledge flow or login flow again and then we can be sure its working.

Well, crud. The login loop is back. After I select “allow” it just takes me back to the locked page.

But when you try to re-login with the same account without deleting that account first, it works?

That’s correct. Before I deleted the dummy user I went through the log-in process, clicked “allow” and was able to see the content.

Which PHP version is your site using?

OK, so when I look at my dashboard after going through the login loop, I can see that the dummy account has been created in WordPress even though I’m not getting to the unlocked content. If I come back and try again (closing the tab but not logging out of Patreon) it takes me straight to the unlocked content without showing me the login page first.

My site is using PHP 7.2.

When your initial login fails while logging as a new patron, can you access the locked page’s content if you refresh it with F5?

No, it just reloads the login page.

Also, this morning the login loop is happening without any exceptions – even after I close the browser tab and try again.

Can you visit the ‘Health check’ submenu in Patreon Settings menu in your WP admin, and copy the report by clicking where it says ‘click here to copy’ and send it to me via DM in the forum by copy/pasting?

Alternatively you can also mail it to ozgur@c.patreon.com

Additionally please do the same in Tools -> Site Health -> Info location at your WP admin to send your site info.

Thanks for your continued work on this. I have DMed the info you requested.

This turned out to be WP Fastest Cache plugin caching content too aggressively and not letting the newly created/logged user seeing unlocked content and instead serving stale, locked version. When Emily switched to WP Super Cache, the issue went away.

We will look into compatibility code for WP Fastest Cache to make it play nice, but i would recommend either of WP Super Cache or W3 Total Cache in the meantime - the plugin has compatibility flags added and tested for both of them.