"Sorry - to connect your site to Patreon you need to be an admin user."

Hello-- I’m trying to set up Patreon on WordPress.org and when I run the connection wizard I get the following message:

“Sorry - to connect your site to Patreon you need to be an admin user.”

I am the only admin user on my WordPress site–“Super Admin,” in fact, since it’s a multisite network. I saw another response in the forum that said to try as the site admin rather than network admin, but if at all possible I’d prefer not to have to create a new profile.

In multisite case, the connecting account would need to be the admin of the particular site - the network admin may not appear as an admin for a subsite. Additionally the subsite will be linked to the particular admin user’s Patreon creator account. Also, this is better for security since no kind of intersection in between network admin and site admin would exist over Patreon.

OK, that makes sense–unfortunately, though, I just created a separate admin account for the individual site and am still getting the message while logged in under that account. Is there any other solution?

This may point to a bug. Ill try to reproduce this and update this thread later.

Thanks! Just FYI, I saw there was a new update and tried again on a whim after installing–still getting the same error.

Update did not address anything related to this. That’s why.

Ill update this thread in a few days.

I am getting this error as well on a mulltisite setup with both the super admin and created admin,

Need to get sync going for my site.

Thanks for your help and expertise

I will be testing the plugin with multisite in the next few days and will look into this issue.

Awesome
Thank you for your help and support

1 Like

This happens when you are logged in as network admin, and also when you are logged in as the individual site’s admin while at the same time being logged into the network admin from the same browser, right?

What happens when you log into that individual site as that individual site’s admin from a different browser where you are not logged into the site as network admin and try connecting your site from there?

Oz.
Thank you for your question.
I had already tried this idea earlier this week.

However I tried again this evening with my mac (totally different computer)

I recieved the same not am admin error.

I how this helps with further problem solving.

Feel free to ask any other questions

Peter

Oz here also is a list of the connection alerts from the health check area of your add-on

I hope it helps in diagnosing things

Last 50 connection errors

These are the last 50 connection issues encountered by your site when contacting Patreon API. These are here for general info on health of the connection of your WP site to Patreon API. They only constitute an error if there are a lot of recent ones. Healthiest integrations should have a number of them (up to 50) in the long run.

1.45 days ago

Response code: 401 Response :{“errors”:[{“code”:1,“code_name”:“Unauthorized”,“detail”:“The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn’t understand how to supply the credentials required.”,“id”:“549097d8-f26d-468f-af1e-6629450e734a”,“status”:“401”,“title”:“Unauthorized”}]}

3.88 days ago

Response code: 401 Response :{“errors”:[{“code”:1,“code_name”:“Unauthorized”,“detail”:“The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn’t understand how to supply the credentials required.”,“id”:“8c88e335-79ed-491a-aaa8-c87e444950f6”,“status”:“401”,“title”:“Unauthorized”}]}

3.89 days ago

Response code: 401 Response :{“errors”:[{“code”:1,“code_name”:“Unauthorized”,“detail”:“The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn’t understand how to supply the credentials required.”,“id”:“75bde7b4-8b25-4213-90c6-065c51f0c54b”,“status”:“401”,“title”:“Unauthorized”}]}

I just had another thought on this issue.

I am still working on getting my SSL certificate set up on my site.

Could this be causing the connection errors.

I also just tried logging in with the admin (not super admin) account and it didn’t work for me, either.

Here’s the full error message I received:

Warning: Use of undefined constant SECURE_AUTH_COOKIE - assumed ‘SECURE_AUTH_COOKIE’ (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/customer/www/dystopiandanceparty.com/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 788

Warning: Use of undefined constant LOGGED_IN_COOKIE - assumed ‘LOGGED_IN_COOKIE’ (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/customer/www/dystopiandanceparty.com/public_html/wp-includes/user.php on line 348

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/customer/www/dystopiandanceparty.com/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php:788) in /home/customer/www/dystopiandanceparty.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/patreon-connect/classes/patreon_routing.php on line 274
Sorry - to connect your site to Patreon you need to be an admin user.

Oz
Thanks again for your help

I kind of wish this admin requirement was something that could be turned on or turned off for the one time we need to link to the patreon site.

Is there a line of code we could temporarily change to turn off the admin requirement?

Or is this the kind of requirement that occurs every time your adon talks to patreon?

Thanks again for all your help and diligence in resolving this issue

Thank you guys for the debug info you provided. The problem causing this issue was identified. The fix will be out early this week.

Great, thank you so much!

1 Like

The fix is out at github at this branch:

If you dont want to wait until it is released at WP.org, you can download the package from github and replace your existing package with this. It will fix your problem.

When the next version comes out you can just upgrade to move to the next version, which will include the fix already.

Zach

Thanks for your time in fixing this

I was able to download all the previous post to my wordpress.

However the images from my image posts did not transfer over to wordpres. However, The video links DID transfer over well.

Do you know why the images would not be viewable?
Is it just because I am accessing the site as an admin?

I did reset my permalinks but the images did not come up

Thanks again for your time and help with these matters

Post sync does not cover all content in all post types because the api does not return their info yet. For example images inside your posts are imported, but the main image in an image post is not. Attachments in general as well.